Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Labor Story

Rough Time Line of my Labor:
Thurs. July 16, 5:00pm
I wasn't sure, but I think my water broke.
Called the doctor & she told me to go to the hospital so they could know for sure.
Called Roger to let him know I was going to the hospital, but told him not to come until I knew for sure. (Didn't want him to come if it was a false alarm)
5:45pm
Arrived at Hoag Hospital.
Was set up in a room with a fantastic view of Newport Beach Harbor.
6:15pm
Yep, my water had broken & I wasn't leaving the hospital.
Called Roger to let him know I wasn't going anywhere, but not to rush.
Roger got to the hospital around 7:00pm
Called the family to let them know where I was.My mom & sis-in-law Lindsey came to help pass the time.
We played carded until 12:00am
Friday, July 17Th, 12:00am
Started me on Patosin
3:00am
dilated 4cm, got epidural (heaven)
10:00 am
Noticed that was numb on right side, but not so much on the left. Could feel contractions on left hip & back. Baby was "sunny side up" & at an angle. Wasn't progressing very fast because of her position. By this point was losing track of time. Family would come & go, but Roger never left.
5:00 pm, 24 hours of labor
My spirits are high, but getting worried that I might need a C-section. After so many hours invested, that is the last thing that I want, but understand if it's needed. Many pep talks with my little girl & prayers to my Heavenly Father, the thought popped into my head, "get on your hands & knees". I called my nurse to help me get into position, remembering from our birthing classes that it will encourage the baby to flip.
6:00pm?
Epidural still isn't working on the left side. The pain is starting to get worst. I've been on my hands & knees for 2 hours, praying that my little girl will move into position.
The epidural comes out. Contractions are back to back & unbearable. Roger runs to get the doctor.
7:30pm?
Epidural in replaced, thank heaven for modern medicine.
8:30pm?
Baby has flipped & I'm fully dilated. Yea!!!
The nurse calls my Doctor. Push for about a hour.
Kendall Elizabeth Armstrong arrives at 10:08pm.
29 hours of labor, but well worth the reward.
Our little girl is finally here & we are loving every minute with her. She is a piece of heaven & I'm honored to be her mommy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Candis has been keeping me updated, but I just read all about it on your blog.

Suzanne C said...

It pays to listen, doesn't it? I'm glad everything went well for you and your family. Aren't babies just the coolest thing??

Our Family said...

Congrats! What a story of being inspired to help you new bby girl into the world! Enjoy her!
Shirlene

Anonymous said...

She's just so beautiful. My first labor was the hardest, but the last 2 have been a breeze--so hopefully it will only get easier. Enjoy her--they grow up too fast.

Liz Ready said...

She's a beauty! Thank you for sharing pictures. More, more, more! Enjoy every moment with her.