Thursday, June 19, 2008

Viva Mexico

Cancun, Mexico
June 2008
We needed a break!
The last few months have been a little interesting, with Roger quiting his job & then starting a new insurance agency (Armstrong, Robitaille, Riegle). It has been busy, with not much time to spend together. We got some time together in Mexico, and had a blast as always.
Xel-Ha
The word Xel Há is a combination of Maya terms which mean " water entrance " or "where the waters are born".
It is an ecological park, where the fresh water meets the salt water of the ocean in a natural inlet. We spent about 3 hours here snorkling and enjoying the wild life. Most of our pictures from the day are on an underwater camera & unfurtunatly they havn't been developed yet. There was so much to do at the park, but we didn't realize it until until after we had left.
We got to rides bikes! It was my favorite thing to do all day. Yes I'm easy to please. We have a couple pretty funny videos, but I'm having a hard time getting them to upload onto my blog. I thought I was going to have to take Roger to the first aid hut after one of our bike rides.


On one side of the fence are snorklers (lets pretend it's Roger & I in this picture). On the other side are 3 Manatees. They would hang out right by the fence. I was able to reach through & hold on to one of there tails for a little bit. They are so cute & mellow. I hope Roger got some good underwater pictures.

http://www.xelha.com/download/xelha-map.swf




Tulum
"Tulum means fence, trench or wall, and is the name given to the site in recent times because of the wall surrounding it."
Coming to places like tis makes me think about Book of Mormon History.
Could this be Irreantum? (1 Ne 17:5-6)

This place is amazing! We didn't get to spend as much time here as we would have liked, but there is always next time, right?


They were bee keepers. Our guide said this monument was for the bee god.
(Ether 2:3 in the Book of Mormon says: "And they did carry with them deseret, which by interpretation, is a honey bee; and thus they did carry with them swarms of bees...")

Playa Tiburon
("Shark Beach", just in case you don't understand Spanish, like me)
I think this beach, by far was the highlight of Rogers trip.

He got to hold a Nurse Shark!
Nurse sharks are slow-moving bottom-dwellers and are, for the most part, harmless to humans. However, they can be huge—up to 14 feet (4.3 meters)—and have very strong jaws filled with thousands of tiny, serrated teeth, and will bite defensively if stepped on or bothered by divers who assume they’re docile.They use their strong jaws to crush and eat shellfish and even coral, but prefer to dine on fish, shrimp, and squid.
-National Geographic

The shark wanted a kiss, but Roger got a little scared. Maybe the strong jaws & sharp teeth had something to do with it.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a really good time!
any funny "tours of the hotel room" that we can watch next time were at your house!?? :)

Anonymous said...

FUN! I am jealous, I need a vaca.
-Candis

Anonymous said...

wow! looks like a fun time. the shark thing seems a bit scary, but then again--I have a husband that likes to try and catch alligators!

Tiffany said...

That is awesome! I love the one of Roger holding the shark. Isnt it depressing to have to come home from vacations??

Stacy said...

Im glad you guys had a good vacation! I want to go to Mexico now...

Suzanne C said...

It's good to see you guys!